Fighting covid or any other disease? Your pH matters.
Updated: Mar 26
Creating a healthy body requires a holistic approach, recognizing that proper hydration, diet, exercise, rest, work/play balance, sleep, and mindset are all key elements. At BioCare, we will happily provide you with guidance in these areas but it will always be up to you to take aligned action.
What is pH balance? Your body’s pH balance, also referred to as its acid-base balance, is the level of acids and bases in your blood at which your body functions best. The human body is built to naturally maintain a healthy balance of acidity and alkalinity. The lungs and kidneys play a key role in this process. A normal blood pH level is 7.40 on a scale of 0 to 14, where 0 is the most acidic and 14 is the most basic. This value can vary slightly in either direction. If the lungs or kidneys are malfunctioning, your blood’s pH level can become imbalanced. Disruption in your acid-base balance can lead to medical conditions known as acidosis and alkalosis. Both conditions require treatment from a medical professional, not simply dietary changes.
How the lungs and kidneys maintain the pH balance The lungs control your body’s pH balance by releasing carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is a slightly acidic compound. It’s also a waste product produced by cells in the body as they use oxygen. The cells release it into your blood, and it’s taken to your lungs. When you exhale, you’re expelling that carbon dioxide, a process that also helps regulate your body’s pH balance by reducing acidity. The amount of carbon dioxide you exhale is a function of how deeply you inhale or exhale. Your brain constantly monitors this in order to maintain the proper pH balance in your body. The kidneys help the lungs maintain acid-base balance by excreting acids or bases into the blood. The kidneys’ effect on acidity works much more slowly than that of the lungs.
pH balance disorders A blood pH imbalance can lead to two conditions: acidosis and alkalosis. Acidosis refers to having blood that’s too acidic, or a blood pH of less than 7.35. Alkalosis refers to having blood that’s too basic, or a blood pH of higher than 7.45. There are different types of acidosis and alkalosis based on the underlying cause. When acidosis or alkalosis is caused by a lung disorder or issue with exhalation, it’s referred to as “respiratory.” When acidosis or alkalosis is caused by a problem with the functioning of the kidneys, it’s referred to as “metabolic.”
WHAT DOCTORS, SCIENTISTS AND NUTRITIONISTS SAY ABOUT ALKALINE, IONIZED KANGEN WATER® Dr. Stefan Kuprowsky “Acid wastes build up in the body in the form of cholesterol, gallstones, kidney stones, arterial plaque, urates, phosphates and sulfates. These acidic waste products are the direct cause of premature aging and the onset of chronic disease. “I believe that the best water is water that is alkaline (reduced) and purified using a small device known as a water ionizer.” ~ Dr. Stefan Kuprowsky, Naturopathic Doctor
Dr. Theodore A. Baroody “Any stressor that the mind or body interprets and internalizes as too much to deal with, leaves an acid residue. Even a mild stressor can cause a partial or total acid-forming reaction… The countless names attached to illness do not really matter. What does matter is that they all come from the same root cause: too much tissue acid waste in the body. “It is my opinion that ionized water will change the way in which all health practitioners and the public approach their health in the coming years… I have administered over 5000 gallons of this water for about every health situation imaginable. I feel that restructured alkaline water can benefit everyone.” ~ Dr. Theodore A. Baroody,DC, ND, Ph.D., Dipl. Acu., Nutritional Consultant
Dr. Susan Lark “Drinking four to six glasses of alkaline water a day will help to neutralize over acidity and over time will help to restore your buffering ability. Alkaline water should be used when conditions of over acidity develop, such as cold, flu, or bronchitis. Like vitamins C, E, and Beta Carotene, alkaline water acts as an antioxidant because of its excess supply of free electrons. This can help the body against the development of heart disease, strokes, immune dysfunctions, and other common ailments.
“The benefits of the alkaline water created through electrolysis far exceed just its ability to gently raise the pH of the cells and tissues of the body and to neutralize acids. Because alkaline water has gained a significant number of free electrons through the electrolysis process, it is able to donate these electrons to active oxygen free radicals in the body, thereby becoming a super antioxidant. By donating its excess free electrons, alkaline water is able to block the oxidation of normal tissue by free oxygen radicals.” ~ Dr. Susan Lark, Clinical Nutritionist
Dr. Lester Packer “Scientists now believe that free radicals are factors in nearly every known disease. “Consuming the right type of water is vital to detoxifying the body’s acidic waste products and is one of the most powerful health treatments available. “We recommended that you drink 8-10 glasses per day of this alkaline water. It is one of the simplest and most powerful things that you can do to combat a wide range of disease processes. It is interesting to note that in Japan, professional sports teams drink alkaline water to improve their performance… “It is well known that many chronic diseases result in excess acidity of the body (metabolic acidosis). We also know that the body tends to become more acidic due to modern dietary habits and lifestyles and the aging process itself. By drinking high negative ORP alkaline water, you combat metabolic acidosis and improve absorption of nutrients.” ~ Dr. Lester Packer, Senior scientist at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, world’s foremost antioxidant Research Scientist
Dr. Ray Kurzweil “There are more benefits to “alkaline water” than simply the alkalinity or pH. The most important feature of alkaline water produced by a water alkalizer is its oxidation reduction potential (ORP). Water with a high negative ORP is of particular value in its ability to neutralize oxygen free radicals. ORP can also be directly tested using an ORP sensor and meter. We have conducted these experiments as well. We found that water coming directly from the tap had an ORP of +290mV, while the water coming out of the water alkalizer had a negative ORP. The more negative the ORP of a substance (that is, the higher its negative ORP), the more likely it is to engage in chemical reactions that donate electrons. These electrons are immediately available to engage in reactions that neutralize positively charged free radicals. This is the key benefit of water produced by a water alkalizer that is not available by simply drinking water that has had some bicarb or other compounds dissolved in it to make it alkaline.
“Free radicals are among the most damaging molecules in the body and are highly unstable molecules that are oxidizing agents and are electron deficient. They are a principal cause of damage and disease in the body. Oxygen free radicals contribute significantly to a broad variety of harmful conditions in the body ranging from life-threatening conditions such as heart disease, stroke and cancer, to less severe conditions such as sunburns, arthritis, cataracts, and many others. Free radicals MUST get electrons from somewhere and will steal them from whatever molecules are around, including normal, healthy tissues.
“Damage to tissues results when free radicals strip these electrons from healthy cells. If the damage goes on unchecked, this will lead to disease. For example, the oxidation of LDL cholesterol particles in arterial walls by free radicals triggers an immune system response that results in atherosclerosis, the principal cause of heart disease. The negative ions in alkaline water from an electrolysis machine are a rich source of electrons that can be donated to these free radicals in the body, neutralizing them and stopping them from damaging healthy tissues. Specifically, these ions have the potential to engage in the chemical reactions necessary to neutralize oxygen free radicals.” ~ Dr. Ray Kurzweil, Award-winning Scientist, Inventor
Dr. Mu Shik Jhon “Hexagonal water – comprised of small molecular units or ring-shaped clusters – move easily within the cellular matrix of the body, helping with nutrient absorption and waster removal. It aids metabolic processes, supports the immune system, contributes to lasting vitality and acts as a carrier of dissolved oxygen. It can provide alkaline minerals to the body and it helps in the more efficient removal of acidic wastes. Drinking hexagonal water takes us in the direction of health. It supports long life and freedom from disease. Biological organisms prefer hexagonal water.
“Ionized water has a hexagonal shape and carries an abundance of hydroxyl ions (OH-). It provides extra electrons that neutralize destructive free radicals circulating throughout the body. Hexagonal ionized water carries a high negative ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential) when it is first produced, making it a potent anti-oxidant. “When taken internally, the reduced ionized water with its redox potential, or ORP of -250 to -350 readily donates its electrons to oddball oxygen radicals and blocks the interaction of the active oxygen with normal molecules.
“Water has the ability to attract and accumulate bio-energy. It also stores an energy memory of harmful or helpful vibrations to which it was exposed in the past. Chlorinated tap water is polluted with non-biological chemicals and negative energy imprints. It is also devoid of bio-energy and so may be regarded as being badly polluted as well as ‘dead’. Alkaline living water is regarded by a growing number of health care professionals as the best water to drink and is listed as a medical device in Japan for the treatment of degenerative diseases. “My hypothesis was born from the clinical observation study in our clinic. Since May ’85 we have confirmed thousands of clinical improvements, obtained solely by exchanging drinking (as well as cooking water) from tap water to reduced water.” ~ Dr. Mu Shik Jhon, Chemist, Founding president of the Association of Academies of Sciences in Asia
Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi “Devices to produce reduced water were introduced into our clinic in May 1985. Based on the clinical experiences obtained in the past 15 years, it can be said that introduction of naturally reduced water (using H-01 Active Hydrogen Generator) or electrolyzed-reduced water for drinking and cooking purpose for in-patients should be the very prerequisite in our daily medical practices. It is because any dietary recipe cannot be a scientific one if property of water taken by the patients is not taken into consideration. “The Ministry of Health and Welfare in Japan announced in 1965 that the intake of reduced water is effective for restoration of intestinal flora metabolism.” ~ Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, Cardiovascular Surgeon, Director of the Water Institute of Japan
CLINICAL IMPROVEMENTS OBTAINED FROM THE INTAKE OF “REDUCED WATER” HAYASHI, Hidemitsu, M.D., Water Institute, & KAWAMURA, Munenori, M.D., Kyowa Medical Clinic, (1985-2000) (17) ? Improvement of blood glucose and HbAIC levels in diabetes mellitus. ? Improvement of peripheral circulation in diabetic gangrene. ? Improvement of uric acid levels in gout. ? Improvement of liver function in hepatic disease, cirrhosis of liver, hepatitis. ? Improvement of gastroduodenal ulcers and prevention of recurrences. ? Improvement of cholesterol level; hypertension, angina, myocardial infarction. ? Improvement of hypersensitive disorders; atopic dermatitis, asthma, urticaria. ? Improvement of autoimmune disorders; rheumatism, collagen disease, SLE. ? Improvement of so-called specific diseases; Behcet’ syndrome, Crohn disease, ulcerative colitis, Kawasaki’s disease. ? Improvement of malignant tumors of liver; hepatoma, metastatic tumors. ? Improvement of general malaise, chronic constipation & diarrhea as well as persistent diarrhea occurred after gastric resection. ? Improvement of dehydration in infants with vomiting and diarrhea caused by viral infection. ? Improvement of hyperbilirubinemia in newborns. ? Experiences of pregnant women who took reduced water during their pregnancy; almost no emesis, smooth delivery, slight jaundice, enough lactation, smooth and satisfactory growth of newborns.
Dr. Yoshiaki Matsuo PhD “In my opinion, redox potential is more important than pH… For example, the average pH of blood is 7.4 and acidosis or alkalosis are defined according to deviation within the range of 7.4 + -0.05. But nothing has been discussed about ORP, or oxidation-reduction potential. “It has long been established that reactive oxygen species (ROS) [free radicals that contain the oxygen atom] cause many types of damage to biomolecules and cellular structures, that, in turn result in the development of a variety of pathologic states such as diabetes, cancer and aging. Reduced water is defined as anti-oxidative water produced by reduction of water. Electrolyzed reduced water (ERW) has been demonstrated to be hydrogen-rich water and can scavenge ROS in vitro (Shirahata et al., 1997).” ~ Dr. Yoshiaki Matsuo PhD., Vice President of the Water Institute of Japan.
Dr. Sanetaka Shirahata “Several natural waters such as Hita Tenryosui water drawn from deep underground in Hita city in Japan, Nordenau water in Germany and Tlacote water in Mexico are known to alleviate various diseases. We have developed a sensitive method by which we can detect active hydrogen existing in reduced water, and have demonstrated that not only ERW [Electrolyzed Reduced Water] but also natural reduced waters described above contain active hydrogen and scavenge ROS [Reactive Oxygen Species–free radicals that contain the oxygen atom] in cultured cells. “Reduced water suppressed the growth of cancer cells transplanted into mice, demonstrating their anti-cancer effects in vivo. Reduced water will be applicable to not only medicine but also food industries, agriculture, and manufacturing industries.” ~ Dr. Sanetaka Shirahata, Professor of Cellular Regulation Technology at the Department of Genetic Resources Technology.
Dr. Arthur M. Echano “If the world has accepted antioxidants to slow down the aging process, it should readily agree to the uses of ionized alkaline water as an anti-aging agent. Their roles are closely linked and intertwined such that a lasting anti-aging program is incomplete without addressing both free radicals and organic acid wastes.” ~ Dr Arthur M. Echano, Medical Doctor, Naturopath, Nutritional Medicine Specialist (See footnote, #10) 1. Dr. Stefan Kuprowsky is a Canadian naturopathic doctor with impressive academic credentials and a strong vision for natural medicine. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Biological Anthropology from Trent University (1977), a Master’s in Medical Anthropology (1982) and a Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine (1985). He has been in practice over 20 years as a Naturopathic Physician as well as a consultant, writer, lecturer, radio host and teacher in the natural health industry. He has served as President of the BC Naturopathic Association and is currently serving on the BC College Board as Chairman of the Quality Assurance Committee. He is also a professor at the Boucher Institute Of Naturopathic Medicine in New Westminster. Dr. Kuprowsky has studied mind-body medicine with Deepak Chopra and a certified instructor for Dr. Chopra’s Creative Health program. He currently operates the Vancouver Naturopathic Clinic.
2. Theodore A. Baroody, DC, ND, Ph.D., Dipl. Acu. was born in Sanford, NC, in 1950. He received his B.S. in Psychology and his Masters degree in Educational Counseling from Western Carolina University in 1974 and 1978. He received his D.C. degree from Life Chiropractic College of Marietta, Ga. in 1981. He further studied in Beirut, Lebanon and at Colombo Americano, Columbia, as well as having traveled extensively in Europe and Asia to gather information on the healing arts. Dr. Baroody later completed an N.D. from Clayton School of Naturopathy in 1991 after years of clinical research in his practice and received his Ph.D. in Nutrition from American Holistic College. Dr. Baroody is a Certified Nutritional Consultant (C.N.C.) and a professional member of the American Association of Nutritional Consultants, and a diplomate in acupuncture. He is the author of the popular book, Alkalize or Die (2002)
3. Dr. Susan Lark is one of the foremost authorities in the fields of clinical nutrition and preventive medicine. A graduate of Northwestern University Medical School, she has served on the clinical faculty of Stanford University Medical School, and taught in their Division of Family and Community Medicine. Dr. Lark is a distinguished clinician, author, lecturer and innovative product developer. Through her extensive clinical experience, she has been an innovator in the use of self-care treatments such as diet, nutrition, exercise and stress management techniques in the field of women’s health, and has lectured extensively throughout the United States on topics in preventive medicine. She is the author of 13 best-selling books on women’s health including The Chemistry of Success.
4. Dr. Lester Packer, is the world’s foremost antioxidant research scientist. He is a senior scientist at the prestigious Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, and Head of the Packer Lab at the University of California, where he has been a professor for 35 years. Dr. Packer is the executive editor of Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, and serves on the editorial advisory boards of Free Radical Biology and Medicine, The Journal of Applied Nutrition, and The Journal of Optimal Nutrition. He is a member of eight professional societies and is President of the International Society for Free Radical Research, and Vice President of UNESCO’s Global Network of Molecular and Cell Biology. Dr. Packer has published over 700 scientific papers and 70 books on every aspect of antioxidants and health, including the standard references Vitamin E in Health and Disease, Vitamin C in Health and Disease, The Handbook of Natural Antioxidants and Understanding the Process of Aging:The Roles of Mitochondria, Free Radicals, and Antioxidants. The International Bibliographic Information on Dietary Supplements (IBIDS) is produced by the Office of Dietary Supplements at the National Institutes of Health to assist the public, health care providers, and researchers in locating credible, scientific literature on dietary supplements. Several hundred citations of the Packer Lab’s work on the antioxidant network and gene regulation are in the peer reviewed section of IBIDS database.
5. Dr. Ray Kurzweil is one of the world’s leading inventors, thinkers, and futurists. He’s been awarded 19 honorary doctorates, honored by 3 US Presidents and is recipient of many of the nations highest awards for excellence. He has been called “the restless genius” by the Wall Street Journal and “the ultimate thinking machine” by Forbes magazine and PBS included him as one of 16 “revolutionaries who made America,” along with other inventors of the past two centuries. Time magazine writes, “Kurzweil’s eclectic career and propensity of combining science with practical—often humanitarian—applications have inspired comparisons with Thomas Edison”. Among Kurzweil’s many honors, he is the recipient of the $500,000 MIT-Lemelson Prize, the world’s largest for innovation. In 1999, he received the National Medal of Technology, the nation’s highest honor in technology, from President Clinton in a White House ceremony. And in 2002, he was inducted into the National Inventor’s Hall of Fame, established by the US Patent Office. Author of several books Dr. Kurzweil second book in 1993, The 10% Solution for a Healthy Life, How to Eliminate Virtually All Risk of Heart Disease and Cancer, was published by Crown Publishers. The book stemmed from Ray’s successfully curing himself of type II Diabetes through a nutritional program he had researched himself.
6. Professor Mu Shik Jhon, Honorary and Founding president of the Association of Academies of Sciences in Asia (AASA) and Former President of the Korean Academy of Science and Technology (KAST), was born in 1932 at Taegu, Korea and received BS and MS degrees from Department of Chemistry, Seoul National University in 1954 and 1958, respectively. Then he moved to U.S.A. to pursue his doctorate study at Department of Chemistry, University of Utah. He received his Ph.D. degree in 1966 and became an assistant professor at University of Virginia. Three years later, Prof. Jhon came back to his mother country, Korea, to serve as the head of Liquid State Chemistry Research Laboratory at the Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST) in 1969. Then, he joined the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) as a charter member in 1971. Prof. Jhon is a foreign fellow of National Academy of Sciences, India, and Pakistan Academy of Sciences, a foreign academician of Russian Academy of Science and a fellow of the European Academy of Arts, Sciences & Humanities. He published over 280 papers and produced many eminent scholars including about 50 Ph.D.s. He served as President of KAST, Founding President of AASA, Founding President of the Korean Association for the Advancement of Sciences and Chairman of the Board of Research Institute of Bioinformatics and Molecular Design. His main research fields were the theory of liquids and solids, structure and properties of water and aqueous solution, water and biological molecules, theoretical studies of zeolite, hydrogel and polymers. He was interested in the role of water in biological system, especially human body. To explain the role of water, he proposed a liquid structure theory, “Significant Structure Theory” and extended it to water. Hexagonal and pentagonal water structures are the water cluster models that he introduced to explain the abnormal behaviors of water. During last two decades before he passed away, he intensively worked on the illumination of the relation between hexagonal water and health, and authored The Water Puzzle and the Hexagonal Key.
7. Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi was born in 1938. He practiced medicine and specialized in Cardiovascular Surgery after graduating in 1968 from the Medical School of Kobe University, Japan. He also studied at the University of Munich (1970-71). Specialized in the field of Cardiovascular Medicine. In 1985, after 20 years of clinical experiences as a surgeon he began advanced research on the medical benefits of water. In 1995 he simultaneously released in Japan and the U.S. his theory on the effects of hydrogen-rich water in preventing and treating illnesses. Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi is a researcher and a “Hydrogen-rich Water” Advocate, and is the Director of the Water Institute of Japan in Tokyo.
8. Dr. Yoshiaki Matsuo PhD is Vice President of the Water Institute of Japan and was contributing inventor to the modern domestic ionizer.
9. Dr. Sanetaka Shirahata is a Professor of Cellular Regulation Technology at the Department of Genetic Resources Technology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University. His activities have included the development of functional waters and foods for anti-allergy, immunopotentiation, anti-oxidation, anti-life style-related diseases; recently following researches have been focused on antioxidative function and improvement of various diseases by electrolyzed reduced water and natural reduced water. Dr. Shirahata has published abstracts and among other research topics has made presentations on; Evaluation of oxidant and antioxidant activities of various potable waters by ESR; Apoptotic inducing effect of active hydrogen on tumor cells; Application of water to therapy – current researches on reduced water and its clinical application; and Anti-diabetes effect of reduced water scavenging reactive oxygen species. His academic society affiliations include, Japanese Society for Animal Cell Technology (President, 2003- Japan), Japan Society for Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Agrochemistry (Editor Councilor of the West branch, 1999-2004, Japan), Japanese Society for Food and Nutrition (Councilor, 2000-2004, Japan), Japan Society for Food Science and Technology (Councilor of the West Branch, 1989-2004, Japan), European Society for Animal Cell Technology (Japan), Japanese Society for Immunology (Other), Japanese Society for Molecular Biology (Japan).
10. Dr. Arthur M. Echano, M.D., N.D., D.HOM.I., MACNEM is a Medical Doctor, a Naturopath, and a Nutritional Medicine specialist based in New South Wales, Australia who has been successfully practicing nutritional therapy in cancer management for the past 20 years. He has had several speaking engagements in various natural health seminars in Australia and Asia and has written several introductions for various Natural Health books in Australia. Dr. Echano is a 1978 medical graduate of the Faculty of Medicine & Surgery, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines. He also holds a doctorate degree in naturopathy from the U.S. and a diploma in homeopathic ionic therapy from Australia. He is a medical doctor and naturopathic physician Down Under and is a registered member of the Australian Traditional-Medicine Society (ATMS), the Australian Medical Association (AMA) and the Australasian College of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine (ACNEM).
Disclaimer: All content found on BioCare Tech Website, including: text, images, audio, or other formats were created for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor, go to the emergency department, or call 911 immediately. BioCare Tech does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on BioCare Tech.
Links to educational content not created by BioCare Tech are taken at your own risk. BioCare Tech is not responsible for the claims of external websites and education companies.